Our guest is going to be Rabbi Dr. Moshe Goldfeder who will be talking about the subject of his doctoral dissertation - polygamy!
He will be going through the myths and facts of polygamy in the Jewish tradition.
- Was there a time that polygamy was legal according to Jewish law?
- Who practiced it?
- Why did Rabbeinu Gershon pass the enactment that forbid polygamy?
- Has the enactment of Rabbeinu Gershon expired?
Rabbi Goldfeder will also be talking about the growing movement to legalize polygamy in America today.
- Are these movements gaining traction?
- What are the legal and societal ramifications?
We are right in the middle of the Torah portions that discuss the households of the founding patriarchs of the Jewish people, and 2 of the 3 forefathers had multiple wives. We are going to see some of those passages inside and what the Torah has to say.
Good Shabbos Nebraska begins at 10 am this and every Shabbos at Beth Israel Synagogue - where every Shabbos is a shabbaton!